PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is demanding an investigation of Immigration and Customs Enforcement by the Homeland Security Inspector General to explain why the department keeps releasing illegal immigrants convicted of crimes.
The sheriff’s office said 37 percent of the almost 3,200 illegal immigrants booked into county jails this year and passed on to Customs were repeat offenders.
Crimes included kidnapping, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, child molestation, sexual abuse and more. Some of the immigrants have been arrested multiple times, some more than a dozen.
“I’ve been writing to Secretary Jeh Johnson, offering my help and asking for answers and receiving nothing but bureaucratic form letters in return,” Arpaio said.
“This is more than a serious situation, this is dangerous and intolerable, and I have no choice but to request that the Inspector General for Homeland Security look into the matter.”
Arpaio said if continues to get no response, he would call for a congressional investigation.
The sheriff will be going to Mexico to meet with President Enrique Pena Nieto to give recommendations on how to secure the border. A date for the trip isn’t set.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick