PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is demanding an investigation of Immigration and Customs Enforcement by the Homeland Security Inspector General to explain why the department keeps releasing illegal immigrants convicted of crimes.
The sheriff’s office said 37 percent of the almost 3,200 illegal immigrants booked into county jails this year and passed on to Customs were repeat offenders.
Crimes included kidnapping, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, child molestation, sexual abuse and more. Some of the immigrants have been arrested multiple times, some more than a dozen.
“I’ve been writing to Secretary Jeh Johnson, offering my help and asking for answers and receiving nothing but bureaucratic form letters in return,” Arpaio said.
“This is more than a serious situation, this is dangerous and intolerable, and I have no choice but to request that the Inspector General for Homeland Security look into the matter.”
Arpaio said if continues to get no response, he would call for a congressional investigation.
The sheriff will be going to Mexico to meet with President Enrique Pena Nieto to give recommendations on how to secure the border. A date for the trip isn’t set.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier