PHOENIX — A record number of Sun Devils will soon call the campus home.
“More than 13,500 first-year and returning students will be moving into residence halls across all campuses,” said Arizona State University spokesperson, Diana Bejarano. “The students represent all 50 states and more than 30 countries.”
The University of Arizona is expected to welcome 10,000 new students to campus this semester, a record 7,200 of which are true freshman.
But with tens of thousands of students and adults alike flooding the ASU and U of A campuses this school year, identity theft is an issue not to be taken lightly.
“College students are a target for identity thieves because they’re living in an environment which is so open and they have some many people who have access to their information,” said Adam Levin, chairman and co-founder of Scottsdale-based IDT 911.
He said the revolving-door environment of having a roommate can often lead to friendly fraud.
“This is why it’s so very important to keep your documents, your driver’s license, your passport (and) anything that contains personal identifying information, in a safe place,” he explained.
He also said locking dorm rooms regularly and creating tough laptop passwords can help freshman avoid becoming a victim.
College students and young adults make up nearly 30 percent of all identity theft victims around the nation.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development