PHOENIX — A record number of Sun Devils will soon call the campus home.
“More than 13,500 first-year and returning students will be moving into residence halls across all campuses,” said Arizona State University spokesperson, Diana Bejarano. “The students represent all 50 states and more than 30 countries.”
The University of Arizona is expected to welcome 10,000 new students to campus this semester, a record 7,200 of which are true freshman.
But with tens of thousands of students and adults alike flooding the ASU and U of A campuses this school year, identity theft is an issue not to be taken lightly.
“College students are a target for identity thieves because they’re living in an environment which is so open and they have some many people who have access to their information,” said Adam Levin, chairman and co-founder of Scottsdale-based IDT 911.
He said the revolving-door environment of having a roommate can often lead to friendly fraud.
“This is why it’s so very important to keep your documents, your driver’s license, your passport (and) anything that contains personal identifying information, in a safe place,” he explained.
He also said locking dorm rooms regularly and creating tough laptop passwords can help freshman avoid becoming a victim.
College students and young adults make up nearly 30 percent of all identity theft victims around the nation.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick