PHOENIX — A record number of Sun Devils will soon call the campus home.
“More than 13,500 first-year and returning students will be moving into residence halls across all campuses,” said Arizona State University spokesperson, Diana Bejarano. “The students represent all 50 states and more than 30 countries.”
The University of Arizona is expected to welcome 10,000 new students to campus this semester, a record 7,200 of which are true freshman.
But with tens of thousands of students and adults alike flooding the ASU and U of A campuses this school year, identity theft is an issue not to be taken lightly.
“College students are a target for identity thieves because they’re living in an environment which is so open and they have some many people who have access to their information,” said Adam Levin, chairman and co-founder of Scottsdale-based IDT 911.
He said the revolving-door environment of having a roommate can often lead to friendly fraud.
“This is why it’s so very important to keep your documents, your driver’s license, your passport (and) anything that contains personal identifying information, in a safe place,” he explained.
He also said locking dorm rooms regularly and creating tough laptop passwords can help freshman avoid becoming a victim.
College students and young adults make up nearly 30 percent of all identity theft victims around the nation.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this report.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths