PHOENIX — It’s quite an accomplishment for six girls who are members of Girl Scout Troop 1156 in southeast Phoenix.
Schuyler Shanberger, Kacee Roberts, Erica Bender, Becca Waypa and Anne and Kyla Jacobs have all been inducted into the National Honor Society.
“It was really through school,” said Heather Thornton, a spokeswoman for the Girl Scouts Arizona Cactus-Pine Council. “There’s a certain level of grade point average that you have to maintain and community service requirements that go into being part of that organization.”
She said that leadership skills learned in scouting help the girls do just that.
“We’ve had a lot of studies in the Girl Scout Research Institute that say the leadership skills and experiences that they gain in the Girl Scout program really help them succeed in school,” she explained.
The girls are seventh through 10th-graders, who attend different schools in Ahwatukee.
“They are leaders with a heart for service, so we are very proud of their achievement,” said Thornton.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food