PHOENIX — The best poker players from around the state will be taking each other on in the Arizona State Poker Championship.
The event begins Friday, and Talking Stick Resort in Scottsdale, Ariz., is hosting the event. Director of Poker Tom Young said he is expecting a good turnout.
“Well, right now, we’ve got almost 600 people signed up for the tournament,” he said. “[We’re] expecting somewhere around 1,400 to 1,500.”
That’s about 150 more people than last year Young said, and some of those will include professional players.
“We have a lot of pros coming in this year that have confirmed that they’re coming in,” Young said. “We’re excited about the tournament. It’s the 10th year of it, and I think it’s going to go well.”
Those willing to try their hand in the tournament must pay an entry fee of $1,100 in order to get their chips, Young said.
The field of players will be narrowed over the weekend, eventually ending with a final table on Monday. Those players will then play until a winner is crowned on Tuesday.
“First prize will be somewhere around $220,000 (or) $230,000,” Young said.
Young said those hoping to join tournament can still sign up by calling the resort and paying via phone or by coming to the resort’s poker room and signing up in person by 11:15 a.m. on Friday.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier