PHOENIX — The best poker players from around the state will be taking each other on in the Arizona State Poker Championship.
The event begins Friday, and Talking Stick Resort in Scottsdale, Ariz., is hosting the event. Director of Poker Tom Young said he is expecting a good turnout.
“Well, right now, we’ve got almost 600 people signed up for the tournament,” he said. “[We’re] expecting somewhere around 1,400 to 1,500.”
That’s about 150 more people than last year Young said, and some of those will include professional players.
“We have a lot of pros coming in this year that have confirmed that they’re coming in,” Young said. “We’re excited about the tournament. It’s the 10th year of it, and I think it’s going to go well.”
Those willing to try their hand in the tournament must pay an entry fee of $1,100 in order to get their chips, Young said.
The field of players will be narrowed over the weekend, eventually ending with a final table on Monday. Those players will then play until a winner is crowned on Tuesday.
“First prize will be somewhere around $220,000 (or) $230,000,” Young said.
Young said those hoping to join tournament can still sign up by calling the resort and paying via phone or by coming to the resort’s poker room and signing up in person by 11:15 a.m. on Friday.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon