PHOENIX — A Pinal County teacher was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of being drunk in the classroom, the sheriff’s office said.
Students told administrators at Poston Butte High School their teacher, 57-year-old Kathleen Jardine, was yelling at students and possibly intoxicated. She was removed from the classroom by the school resource officer.
A breathalyzer showed Jardine had a blood-alcohol content of .205. She admitted to drinking the previous evening, Wednesday morning and during school lunch.
The officer found a half-full bottle of vodka, an empty serving of wine and orange juice in her purse. Jardine admitted the alcohol was hers.
The legal limit to drive in Arizona is .08. Jardine said she was too drunk to drive and took a cab to work.
“Learning math can be hard enough, I can’t imagine trying to learn it from a drunk teacher,” said Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu in a press release.
Wednesday was not the first time Jardine had been drunk in the classroom.
“During September of 2011 she was a math teacher at Belen High School in New Mexico,” said Babeu. “Students reported to their administration she was ‘acting strange and slurring her words.’ It was determined she was intoxicated and she was later fired from the school.”
Jardine was cited with consumption of alcohol in public and may be charged with disorderly conduct pending an investigation.
Jardine was also cited and released Aug. 12 for super extreme DUI in Gilbert, Ariz. near Perry High School. A breathalyzer test showed her blood-alcohol content to be .257. A bottle of peppermint schnapps was found in her vehicle.
The school said it will fully cooperate with investigators.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer also contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development