PHOENIX — A Pinal County teacher was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of being drunk in the classroom, the sheriff’s office said.
Students told administrators at Poston Butte High School their teacher, 57-year-old Kathleen Jardine, was yelling at students and possibly intoxicated. She was removed from the classroom by the school resource officer.
A breathalyzer showed Jardine had a blood-alcohol content of .205. She admitted to drinking the previous evening, Wednesday morning and during school lunch.
The officer found a half-full bottle of vodka, an empty serving of wine and orange juice in her purse. Jardine admitted the alcohol was hers.
The legal limit to drive in Arizona is .08. Jardine said she was too drunk to drive and took a cab to work.
“Learning math can be hard enough, I can’t imagine trying to learn it from a drunk teacher,” said Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu in a press release.
Wednesday was not the first time Jardine had been drunk in the classroom.
“During September of 2011 she was a math teacher at Belen High School in New Mexico,” said Babeu. “Students reported to their administration she was ‘acting strange and slurring her words.’ It was determined she was intoxicated and she was later fired from the school.”
Jardine was cited with consumption of alcohol in public and may be charged with disorderly conduct pending an investigation.
Jardine was also cited and released Aug. 12 for super extreme DUI in Gilbert, Ariz. near Perry High School. A breathalyzer test showed her blood-alcohol content to be .257. A bottle of peppermint schnapps was found in her vehicle.
The school said it will fully cooperate with investigators.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer also contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.