PHOENIX — There is new hope for thousands of foster children and potential adoptive parents in Maricopa County.
“There are an unprecedented number of children in foster care right now,” Presiding Juvenile Court Judge Colleen McNally said. “In Maricopa County, it’s over 10,000 children.”
Currently the adoption process can take up to several years to complete. McNally said that is why the Superior Court has created the Maricopa County Juvenile Court Adoption Unit.
“They are going to be highly trained and focused on making sure that we do everything we need to do under the adoption law but that we do it quickly and efficiently,” she explained.
In order to assist couples who want to adopt, the adoption unit plans to streamline the background check process, improve the document management system and provide specialized training for staff to answer adoption-related questions.
“Putting everything in one place and devoting special resources is really just the first step,” McNally said. “Now that we have those people in place, they’re going to be continuing to improve the operational process.”
McNally said now it is time for potential adoptive parents to come forward.
“There are not enough adoptive families to take these children, so there’s always a need for parents who are willing to step up,” she said.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes