PHOENIX — There is new hope for thousands of foster children and potential adoptive parents in Maricopa County.
“There are an unprecedented number of children in foster care right now,” Presiding Juvenile Court Judge Colleen McNally said. “In Maricopa County, it’s over 10,000 children.”
Currently the adoption process can take up to several years to complete. McNally said that is why the Superior Court has created the Maricopa County Juvenile Court Adoption Unit.
“They are going to be highly trained and focused on making sure that we do everything we need to do under the adoption law but that we do it quickly and efficiently,” she explained.
In order to assist couples who want to adopt, the adoption unit plans to streamline the background check process, improve the document management system and provide specialized training for staff to answer adoption-related questions.
“Putting everything in one place and devoting special resources is really just the first step,” McNally said. “Now that we have those people in place, they’re going to be continuing to improve the operational process.”
McNally said now it is time for potential adoptive parents to come forward.
“There are not enough adoptive families to take these children, so there’s always a need for parents who are willing to step up,” she said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy