PHOENIX — For those who love gardening or appreciate the art of landscaping, the Xeriscape Garden in Glendale, Ariz., is a plant lover’s paradise.
“The plants are singing to us today after all that rain we had,” said Jo Miller, environmental program manager. “They’ve really perked up, but I think it’s important for people to know that these plants don’t need as much water in July and August because of the humidity. June is when they are most sensitive to the heat.”
The garden doubles as a water conservation demonstration garden. Approximately 400 species of native Sonoran Desert plants live on the four-acre garden that surrounds the Glendale Main Library. Those plants received supplemental water during the storms from a newly installed rainwater harvesting feature, designed with homeowners in mind. The feature allows rainwater to be directed from the library’s roof and to stream down a series of basins to soak the soil.
Homeowners are encouraged to visit and get ideas on how to create an environment that conserves precious resources and saves them money.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development