PHOENIX — Nearly two dozen kids from China are in Cave Creek this week to find out what middle school is like in America.
They are all part of a foreign exchange program.
“They are currently at Sonoran Trails Middle School taking classes that they’ve previously met on Skype,” said Cristina Ladas, the world language coordinator for the Cave Creek School District. “It’s kind of fun now that they get to meet in person and actually go through the school day together.”
Ladas said the exchange program started two years ago with the help of the U.S. State Department. Li Qiong, a teacher from China, first visited Sonoran Trails, and then eight students from Sonoran Trails visited China over the summer. Now Qiong is back in Cave Creek with her middle school students.
“Hopefully this is something that we can keep up and have our kids have authentic experiences with people from other cultures,” she said.
The Chinese students are staying with the students and their families. They are in Arizona as part of a U.S. tour that began with stops in New York and Boston. During their stay, the students will visit the Grand Canyon and watch at a rodeo at Cave Creek’s Buffalo Chip Saloon, before heading for Los Angeles on Saturday.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development