PHOENIX — Nearly two dozen kids from China are in Cave Creek this week to find out what middle school is like in America.
They are all part of a foreign exchange program.
“They are currently at Sonoran Trails Middle School taking classes that they’ve previously met on Skype,” said Cristina Ladas, the world language coordinator for the Cave Creek School District. “It’s kind of fun now that they get to meet in person and actually go through the school day together.”
Ladas said the exchange program started two years ago with the help of the U.S. State Department. Li Qiong, a teacher from China, first visited Sonoran Trails, and then eight students from Sonoran Trails visited China over the summer. Now Qiong is back in Cave Creek with her middle school students.
“Hopefully this is something that we can keep up and have our kids have authentic experiences with people from other cultures,” she said.
The Chinese students are staying with the students and their families. They are in Arizona as part of a U.S. tour that began with stops in New York and Boston. During their stay, the students will visit the Grand Canyon and watch at a rodeo at Cave Creek’s Buffalo Chip Saloon, before heading for Los Angeles on Saturday.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths