PHOENIX — Nearly two dozen kids from China are in Cave Creek this week to find out what middle school is like in America.
They are all part of a foreign exchange program.
“They are currently at Sonoran Trails Middle School taking classes that they’ve previously met on Skype,” said Cristina Ladas, the world language coordinator for the Cave Creek School District. “It’s kind of fun now that they get to meet in person and actually go through the school day together.”
Ladas said the exchange program started two years ago with the help of the U.S. State Department. Li Qiong, a teacher from China, first visited Sonoran Trails, and then eight students from Sonoran Trails visited China over the summer. Now Qiong is back in Cave Creek with her middle school students.
“Hopefully this is something that we can keep up and have our kids have authentic experiences with people from other cultures,” she said.
The Chinese students are staying with the students and their families. They are in Arizona as part of a U.S. tour that began with stops in New York and Boston. During their stay, the students will visit the Grand Canyon and watch at a rodeo at Cave Creek’s Buffalo Chip Saloon, before heading for Los Angeles on Saturday.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night