PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area animal shelter and after-school program offices were unable to open Wednesday following a large storm.
The Arizona Humane Society’s campus at near Dobbins Road and 19th Avenue — in the area that receive more than three inches of rain in 24 hours — will remain closed Wednesday as staffers and volunteers attempt to repair the damage, including flooded offices and exposed wiring.
An air conditioner dedicated to cooling a dog housing area was knocked out during the storm. Staffers hoped to restore power to the unit on Wednesday.
The Boys & Girls Club administrative offices near 24th Street and Thomas Road sustained water damage after a majority of support structures gave way and the roof collapsed.
“That of course opened a huge hole in the roof and all of the rain that we saw outside was in our building,” said Lariana Forsythe, a spokeswoman.
Photos showed offices littered with insulation, water and roofing materials. Forsythe said the damage and ensuing clean-up will affect the group’s budget.
AHS said it plans to reopen Thursday. There was no timeline for the Boys & Girls Club offices to reopen.
Neither group reported injuries, animals included.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths