PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area animal shelter and after-school program offices were unable to open Wednesday following a large storm.
The Arizona Humane Society’s campus at near Dobbins Road and 19th Avenue — in the area that receive more than three inches of rain in 24 hours — will remain closed Wednesday as staffers and volunteers attempt to repair the damage, including flooded offices and exposed wiring.
An air conditioner dedicated to cooling a dog housing area was knocked out during the storm. Staffers hoped to restore power to the unit on Wednesday.
The Boys & Girls Club administrative offices near 24th Street and Thomas Road sustained water damage after a majority of support structures gave way and the roof collapsed.
“That of course opened a huge hole in the roof and all of the rain that we saw outside was in our building,” said Lariana Forsythe, a spokeswoman.
Photos showed offices littered with insulation, water and roofing materials. Forsythe said the damage and ensuing clean-up will affect the group’s budget.
AHS said it plans to reopen Thursday. There was no timeline for the Boys & Girls Club offices to reopen.
Neither group reported injuries, animals included.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development