PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area animal shelter and after-school program offices were unable to open Wednesday following a large storm.
The Arizona Humane Society’s campus at near Dobbins Road and 19th Avenue — in the area that receive more than three inches of rain in 24 hours — will remain closed Wednesday as staffers and volunteers attempt to repair the damage, including flooded offices and exposed wiring.
An air conditioner dedicated to cooling a dog housing area was knocked out during the storm. Staffers hoped to restore power to the unit on Wednesday.
The Boys & Girls Club administrative offices near 24th Street and Thomas Road sustained water damage after a majority of support structures gave way and the roof collapsed.
“That of course opened a huge hole in the roof and all of the rain that we saw outside was in our building,” said Lariana Forsythe, a spokeswoman.
Photos showed offices littered with insulation, water and roofing materials. Forsythe said the damage and ensuing clean-up will affect the group’s budget.
AHS said it plans to reopen Thursday. There was no timeline for the Boys & Girls Club offices to reopen.
Neither group reported injuries, animals included.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night