PHOENIX — It’s no secret Arizona has been dry so far in 2014, but a study showed it was one of the driest seven month spans on record.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration, the period between January and July of this year was the sixth-driest on record.
During the dry spell, Arizona only received 50 percent of its average precipitation. That was especially felt in the Valley. Phoenix received just .06 inches of rain — 6 percent of normal — and posted a top 10 streak for days without rain.
However, that dry spell looks to be coming to an end. After a climatologist predicted a wet end to the monsoon season (traditionally seen as Sept. 30), Phoenix was pounded by storms Tuesday. The South Mountain area received the brunt, with 3.55 inches falling in a 24-hour period.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food