PHOENIX — It’s no secret Arizona has been dry so far in 2014, but a study showed it was one of the driest seven month spans on record.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration, the period between January and July of this year was the sixth-driest on record.
During the dry spell, Arizona only received 50 percent of its average precipitation. That was especially felt in the Valley. Phoenix received just .06 inches of rain — 6 percent of normal — and posted a top 10 streak for days without rain.
However, that dry spell looks to be coming to an end. After a climatologist predicted a wet end to the monsoon season (traditionally seen as Sept. 30), Phoenix was pounded by storms Tuesday. The South Mountain area received the brunt, with 3.55 inches falling in a 24-hour period.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development