PHOENIX — Rain fell fast and hard in the Phoenix area, and when it was over, several homes near South Mountain were left in a mess, particularly along Dobbins Road.
The National Weather Service said 3.55 inches fell in a 24-hour period in the South Mountain area.
It seemed like more to Michael Gallegos and his wife. He said a 3-foot wall of water rushed off the mountain Tuesday toward his house at 27th Avenue and Dobbins. There was nothing he could do to stop the flow.
By Wednesday morning the first floor of the two-story house was covered in mud. They were in the process of remodeling the home where they’ve lived for three years. Now they’ll have to start over.
“It really hits you in the gut,” Gallegos said. The first floor was in shambles and the yard was destroyed but they’ll try to rebuild, he said.
Gallegos wasn’t sure if they have flood insurance.
Other houses took on several inches of water, and even Fire Station No. 57 couldn’t avoid the fallout. A breach in the canal at Dobbins and 19th Avenue forced water over its banks and into the streets. Some houses were swamped with up to eight inches of water.
Dobbins was closed from Seventh to 35th avenues Wednesday morning.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets