PHOENIX — Rain fell fast and hard in the Phoenix area, and when it was over, several homes near South Mountain were left in a mess, particularly along Dobbins Road.
The National Weather Service said 3.55 inches fell in a 24-hour period in the South Mountain area.
It seemed like more to Michael Gallegos and his wife. He said a 3-foot wall of water rushed off the mountain Tuesday toward his house at 27th Avenue and Dobbins. There was nothing he could do to stop the flow.
By Wednesday morning the first floor of the two-story house was covered in mud. They were in the process of remodeling the home where they’ve lived for three years. Now they’ll have to start over.
“It really hits you in the gut,” Gallegos said. The first floor was in shambles and the yard was destroyed but they’ll try to rebuild, he said.
Gallegos wasn’t sure if they have flood insurance.
Other houses took on several inches of water, and even Fire Station No. 57 couldn’t avoid the fallout. A breach in the canal at Dobbins and 19th Avenue forced water over its banks and into the streets. Some houses were swamped with up to eight inches of water.
Dobbins was closed from Seventh to 35th avenues Wednesday morning.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night