PHOENIX — Rain fell fast and hard in the Phoenix area, and when it was over, several homes near South Mountain were left in a mess, particularly along Dobbins Road.
The National Weather Service said 3.55 inches fell in a 24-hour period in the South Mountain area.
It seemed like more to Michael Gallegos and his wife. He said a 3-foot wall of water rushed off the mountain Tuesday toward his house at 27th Avenue and Dobbins. There was nothing he could do to stop the flow.
By Wednesday morning the first floor of the two-story house was covered in mud. They were in the process of remodeling the home where they’ve lived for three years. Now they’ll have to start over.
“It really hits you in the gut,” Gallegos said. The first floor was in shambles and the yard was destroyed but they’ll try to rebuild, he said.
Gallegos wasn’t sure if they have flood insurance.
Other houses took on several inches of water, and even Fire Station No. 57 couldn’t avoid the fallout. A breach in the canal at Dobbins and 19th Avenue forced water over its banks and into the streets. Some houses were swamped with up to eight inches of water.
Dobbins was closed from Seventh to 35th avenues Wednesday morning.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.