PHOENIX — Rain fell fast and hard in the Phoenix area, and when it was over, several homes near South Mountain were left in a mess, particularly along Dobbins Road.
The National Weather Service said 3.55 inches fell in a 24-hour period in the South Mountain area.
It seemed like more to Michael Gallegos and his wife. He said a 3-foot wall of water rushed off the mountain Tuesday toward his house at 27th Avenue and Dobbins. There was nothing he could do to stop the flow.
By Wednesday morning the first floor of the two-story house was covered in mud. They were in the process of remodeling the home where they’ve lived for three years. Now they’ll have to start over.
“It really hits you in the gut,” Gallegos said. The first floor was in shambles and the yard was destroyed but they’ll try to rebuild, he said.
Gallegos wasn’t sure if they have flood insurance.
Other houses took on several inches of water, and even Fire Station No. 57 couldn’t avoid the fallout. A breach in the canal at Dobbins and 19th Avenue forced water over its banks and into the streets. Some houses were swamped with up to eight inches of water.
Dobbins was closed from Seventh to 35th avenues Wednesday morning.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments