PHOENIX — The flash-flood warning for the Phoenix area issued by the weather service became reality, with storms causing flooding and forcing closures of several streets Wednesday.
Visibility was an issue for some drivers, as well as the road obstructions.
Dobbins Road in Phoenix was closed from Seventh to 35th avenues, the intersection of Buckeye Road and 19th Avenue, and Central Avenue at Dobbins all were closed because of flooding.
The canal banks overflowed several feet Tuesday night and flooded a fire station on Dobbins near 19th Avenue, while firefighters were rescuing drivers trapped in their cars by rushing water.
Homes in the area were flooded up to eight inches, leaving mud, rocks and other debris in driveways and inside houses.
The state Department of Transportation said Interstate 17 northbound was down to one lane at Seventh Avenue. Standing water was slowing traffic on U.S. 60 west from Val Vista Drive to Interstate 10 and on I-17 south between Union Hills Drive and 16th Street.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon