PHOENIX — The flash-flood warning for the Phoenix area issued by the weather service became reality, with storms causing flooding and forcing closures of several streets Wednesday.
Visibility was an issue for some drivers, as well as the road obstructions.
Dobbins Road in Phoenix was closed from Seventh to 35th avenues, the intersection of Buckeye Road and 19th Avenue, and Central Avenue at Dobbins all were closed because of flooding.
The canal banks overflowed several feet Tuesday night and flooded a fire station on Dobbins near 19th Avenue, while firefighters were rescuing drivers trapped in their cars by rushing water.
Homes in the area were flooded up to eight inches, leaving mud, rocks and other debris in driveways and inside houses.
The state Department of Transportation said Interstate 17 northbound was down to one lane at Seventh Avenue. Standing water was slowing traffic on U.S. 60 west from Val Vista Drive to Interstate 10 and on I-17 south between Union Hills Drive and 16th Street.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns