PHOENIX — The flash-flood warning for the Phoenix area issued by the weather service became reality, with storms causing flooding and forcing closures of several streets Wednesday.
Visibility was an issue for some drivers, as well as the road obstructions.
Dobbins Road in Phoenix was closed from Seventh to 35th avenues, the intersection of Buckeye Road and 19th Avenue, and Central Avenue at Dobbins all were closed because of flooding.
The canal banks overflowed several feet Tuesday night and flooded a fire station on Dobbins near 19th Avenue, while firefighters were rescuing drivers trapped in their cars by rushing water.
Homes in the area were flooded up to eight inches, leaving mud, rocks and other debris in driveways and inside houses.
The state Department of Transportation said Interstate 17 northbound was down to one lane at Seventh Avenue. Standing water was slowing traffic on U.S. 60 west from Val Vista Drive to Interstate 10 and on I-17 south between Union Hills Drive and 16th Street.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes