PHOENIX — A Phoenix man has been recognized by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administrations for his work to improve the lives of people suffering from mental health issues and substance abuse problems.
Greg Dicharry, the national youth empowerment director of Magellan Youth Leaders Inspiring Future Empowerment (MY LIFE), has received the consumer/peer leadership Voice Award in Hollywood.
The recognition for his work as a national mental health advocate comes days after actor-comedian Robin Williams took his own life.
“One thing his passing proves is that mental health problems and substance abuse issues can affect anyone,” said Dicharry. “You can’t look at someone and know what they are dealing with, that they have a mental illness or they are suffering from a substance abuse problem.”
Dicharry embarked on a 12-step journey to regain control of his life after a manic episode in Los Angeles.
“I was psychotic, delusional,” he explained. “I ended up walking naked on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, was arrested and hospitalized.”
Currently, Dicharry works with more than 500 youths across the nation to reduce discrimination and raise awareness about mental health and other issues.
According to the World Health Organization, approximately 15 million adult Americans experience clinical depression every year, which translates into more than 6 percent of the population of people over age 18.
Unfortunately, many people who are struggling with mental health issues will refuse to seek help for a variety of reasons, which could be painful and difficult for loved ones to deal with. However, Dr. Carol Olson, chair of the psychiatry department at Maricopa Medical Integrated Health Systems, said family members are not powerless.
“If they’ve been making statements or doing thing indicating they are at risk of killing themselves, there is a process for having a person evaluated on an involuntary basis,” she said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon