PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters have rescued at least 11 people stuck inside their cars as a flash flood has turned the area of 19th Avenue and Dobbins into a river.
Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the water is racing down the roads and these drivers never had a chance to make it through.
“This water came on so quick with the storm and with there being a wash there and…also a canal there, the water just pretty much absorbed that area,” he explained. “So I imagine people were trying to make it home and the water just overwhelmed them.”
Saavedra said 10 of the drivers are fine, but one person was taken to a hospital after he suffered from some sort of a medical condition while waiting for rescuers.
The monsoon storm that hit the Phoenix metropolitan area Tuesday evening caused
flight delays at Sky Harbor Airport and knocked out power to at least 2,400
homes and businesses in Tempe and also downed trees and light poles.
The storm dumped up to 1 1/2 inches of rain in Mesa and 2 inches of rain on
parts of northwest Tucson.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night