PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters have rescued at least 11 people stuck inside their cars as a flash flood has turned the area of 19th Avenue and Dobbins into a river.
Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the water is racing down the roads and these drivers never had a chance to make it through.
“This water came on so quick with the storm and with there being a wash there and…also a canal there, the water just pretty much absorbed that area,” he explained. “So I imagine people were trying to make it home and the water just overwhelmed them.”
Saavedra said 10 of the drivers are fine, but one person was taken to a hospital after he suffered from some sort of a medical condition while waiting for rescuers.
The monsoon storm that hit the Phoenix metropolitan area Tuesday evening caused
flight delays at Sky Harbor Airport and knocked out power to at least 2,400
homes and businesses in Tempe and also downed trees and light poles.
The storm dumped up to 1 1/2 inches of rain in Mesa and 2 inches of rain on
parts of northwest Tucson.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon