PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters have rescued at least 11 people stuck inside their cars as a flash flood has turned the area of 19th Avenue and Dobbins into a river.
Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the water is racing down the roads and these drivers never had a chance to make it through.
“This water came on so quick with the storm and with there being a wash there and…also a canal there, the water just pretty much absorbed that area,” he explained. “So I imagine people were trying to make it home and the water just overwhelmed them.”
Saavedra said 10 of the drivers are fine, but one person was taken to a hospital after he suffered from some sort of a medical condition while waiting for rescuers.
The monsoon storm that hit the Phoenix metropolitan area Tuesday evening caused
flight delays at Sky Harbor Airport and knocked out power to at least 2,400
homes and businesses in Tempe and also downed trees and light poles.
The storm dumped up to 1 1/2 inches of rain in Mesa and 2 inches of rain on
parts of northwest Tucson.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier