MESA, Ariz. — A Mesa man who is battling cancer is about to have the dream of his life fulfilled.
Robert Gordon, 58, was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Doctors have given him 12 months or less to live.
Dream Foundation, a nationwide wish-granting organization, heard about his plight and that his dream of visiting Disneyland has never been fulfilled, due to financial constraints.
The foundation has changed that.
It has arranged a trip that starts Monday and will not only include Disneyland and California Adventure but also Knott’s Berry Farm and Universal Studios Hollywood. The trip includes a hotel stay and $700 in spending money. A friend of the family will drive Robert and his wife, Patricia, to California.
A Disneyland trip has always been Gordon’s dream.
“I’ve heard about it from other people,” said Gordon. “They come back and they say, ‘I had a great time,’ but I’ve never had a chance to go.”
He’s grateful for the surprise and said “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “It’s a Small World” are the top attractions on his list. He doesn’t like roller coasters, so he’ll probably skip “Big Thunder Mountain Railroad” and “California Screamin.'”
Gordon’s doctors at the Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center have put him in touch with several California doctors who could be contacted, should he need to go to the hospital while there.
Patricia Gordon said she is “overwhelmed” by all the outpouring of love and support. She called the team at Banner “wonderful” and has also seen the love from their neighbors and members of their church.
“Anything we want, they do,” she said. “When I was in the hospital in May for 10 days, they came and brought food to him everyday. They checked on him and made sure he was ok. You just can’t ask for a better neighborhood and better friends than our (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) ward family.”
The Dream Foundation makes dreams come true for adults who are facing life-threatening illnesses. For more information go to DreamFoundation.org.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck