PHOENIX — Veteran Affairs is bringing extra help to veterans in the East Valley on Wednesday.
Alongside the America Legion, representatives from the VA will be at post 62 in Peoria, Ariz., helping vets get access to many services and benefits, some they might not even know they are eligible for.
“Veterans come out and have questions about women’s health, or they have questions about a specific disability claim, or they might have questions about homeless services,” said Phil Walls, public affairs specialist with the Phoenix VA Health Care System.
The VA has made several stops at American Legion posts across the Valley and Walls said they’ve helped about 400 veterans get access to services. He’s hoping to help as many as they can between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
“We hope that we can get a couple hundred out to come in and get connected to the services they’ve earned,” he said.
Veterans will have access to services and benefits such as education, disability, loans, healthcare and more, Walls said. He said it’s all about making these vets feel taken care of and appreciated.
“It’s our way of getting out there and connecting with the community and supporting them, especially the veterans that we serve,” said Walls.
Walls said no appointment is necessary and the post is located at 9847 W. Desert Cove Ave.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night