PHOENIX — Phoenix just barely missed out on heavy rain, high winds, and possibly blowing dust Monday.
The National Weather Service in Phoenix canceled a severe thunderstorm warning
originally issued for parts of south Phoenix plus Ahwatukee, Sun Lakes and
Meteorologists say the storm weakened and was no longer indicating chances of
However, at 5:30 p.m., a microburst with winds topping 70 miles per hour did move into the Ahwatukee area.
Those same storms left about 2,000 Salt River Project customers
without electricity near Apache Junction and Gold Canyon.
Crews are working to restore power.
Strong thunderstorms were spotted earlier Monday in San Tan Valley, southeast
of Queen Creek.
The National Weather Service has also issued a blowing dust advisory until 8 p.m.
More moisture than usual in the Valley air over the next couple of days could mean the return of monsoon activity.
Despite early-morning cloud covering, meteorologist Valerie Myers said the chance of rain Tuesday afternoon is 50 percent.
Some areas of the southeast Valley had some rain Sunday night.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier