PHOENIX — Phoenix just barely missed out on heavy rain, high winds, and possibly blowing dust Monday.
The National Weather Service in Phoenix canceled a severe thunderstorm warning
originally issued for parts of south Phoenix plus Ahwatukee, Sun Lakes and
Meteorologists say the storm weakened and was no longer indicating chances of
However, at 5:30 p.m., a microburst with winds topping 70 miles per hour did move into the Ahwatukee area.
Those same storms left about 2,000 Salt River Project customers
without electricity near Apache Junction and Gold Canyon.
Crews are working to restore power.
Strong thunderstorms were spotted earlier Monday in San Tan Valley, southeast
of Queen Creek.
The National Weather Service has also issued a blowing dust advisory until 8 p.m.
More moisture than usual in the Valley air over the next couple of days could mean the return of monsoon activity.
Despite early-morning cloud covering, meteorologist Valerie Myers said the chance of rain Tuesday afternoon is 50 percent.
Some areas of the southeast Valley had some rain Sunday night.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development