PHOENIX — Phoenix just barely missed out on heavy rain, high winds, and possibly blowing dust Monday.
The National Weather Service in Phoenix canceled a severe thunderstorm warning
originally issued for parts of south Phoenix plus Ahwatukee, Sun Lakes and
Meteorologists say the storm weakened and was no longer indicating chances of
However, at 5:30 p.m., a microburst with winds topping 70 miles per hour did move into the Ahwatukee area.
Those same storms left about 2,000 Salt River Project customers
without electricity near Apache Junction and Gold Canyon.
Crews are working to restore power.
Strong thunderstorms were spotted earlier Monday in San Tan Valley, southeast
of Queen Creek.
The National Weather Service has also issued a blowing dust advisory until 8 p.m.
More moisture than usual in the Valley air over the next couple of days could mean the return of monsoon activity.
Despite early-morning cloud covering, meteorologist Valerie Myers said the chance of rain Tuesday afternoon is 50 percent.
Some areas of the southeast Valley had some rain Sunday night.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night