PHOENIX — Phoenix just barely missed out on heavy rain, high winds, and possibly blowing dust Monday.
The National Weather Service in Phoenix canceled a severe thunderstorm warning
originally issued for parts of south Phoenix plus Ahwatukee, Sun Lakes and
Meteorologists say the storm weakened and was no longer indicating chances of
However, at 5:30 p.m., a microburst with winds topping 70 miles per hour did move into the Ahwatukee area.
Those same storms left about 2,000 Salt River Project customers
without electricity near Apache Junction and Gold Canyon.
Crews are working to restore power.
Strong thunderstorms were spotted earlier Monday in San Tan Valley, southeast
of Queen Creek.
The National Weather Service has also issued a blowing dust advisory until 8 p.m.
More moisture than usual in the Valley air over the next couple of days could mean the return of monsoon activity.
Despite early-morning cloud covering, meteorologist Valerie Myers said the chance of rain Tuesday afternoon is 50 percent.
Some areas of the southeast Valley had some rain Sunday night.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets