PHOENIX — Starting this month, the Phoenix Police Department will be accepting applications for police officer recruits.
“This isn’t a job, this is a calling, this is a very strong calling,” Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said.
The department has not hired any new officers since 2009. Now it plans to hire 100 officers each year for the next three years.
“The areas where the Phoenix Police department needs more help is high visibility presence,” he said. That means more patrol officers, he said, but also other areas.
“And while I’ll tell you our investigators do a terrific job, we need more detectives,” he said.
However, around 75 officers retire each year. The addition of the 300 officers won’t help the department reach the officer levels of 2009, which was over 3,000. So is it a wash?
“The Phoenix Police Department right now has a crime reduction in violent crime, in property crime, and in over-all crime,” Garcia said. “So folks, that’s not a wash, that’s our folks doing their job.”
Application requirements are listed on the police website.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food