PHOENIX — Starting this month, the Phoenix Police Department will be accepting applications for police officer recruits.
“This isn’t a job, this is a calling, this is a very strong calling,” Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia said.
The department has not hired any new officers since 2009. Now it plans to hire 100 officers each year for the next three years.
“The areas where the Phoenix Police department needs more help is high visibility presence,” he said. That means more patrol officers, he said, but also other areas.
“And while I’ll tell you our investigators do a terrific job, we need more detectives,” he said.
However, around 75 officers retire each year. The addition of the 300 officers won’t help the department reach the officer levels of 2009, which was over 3,000. So is it a wash?
“The Phoenix Police Department right now has a crime reduction in violent crime, in property crime, and in over-all crime,” Garcia said. “So folks, that’s not a wash, that’s our folks doing their job.”
Application requirements are listed on the police website.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain