PHOENIX — Police have arrested a handful of members of a local family on charges that included organized retail theft, fraud, armed robbery and assault.
Phoenix police said a mother, two daughters, a son and a son-in-law were accused of stealing more than $15,000 worth of merchandise from Valley department stores.
Among the stores that have reported losses were Aeropostale, Dillard’s and Victoria Secrets.
The suspects — Jose Alvarez-Burgos, 23; Terri Yvette Vargas, 25; Lizzette Vargas, 27; Mario Vargas, 28; and Elizabeth Rodriguez-Alvarez, 48 — were taken into custody Friday.
Officer James Holmes said some of the stolen lingerie and other stolen items were traded for drugs while others were sold at yard sales.
Holmes said the investigation has extended to shoplifting thefts from stores in Flagstaff and Prescott where authorities also are investigating.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them