PHOENIX — Police have arrested a handful of members of a local family on charges that included organized retail theft, fraud, armed robbery and assault.
Phoenix police said a mother, two daughters, a son and a son-in-law were accused of stealing more than $15,000 worth of merchandise from Valley department stores.
Among the stores that have reported losses were Aeropostale, Dillard’s and Victoria Secrets.
The suspects — Jose Alvarez-Burgos, 23; Terri Yvette Vargas, 25; Lizzette Vargas, 27; Mario Vargas, 28; and Elizabeth Rodriguez-Alvarez, 48 — were taken into custody Friday.
Officer James Holmes said some of the stolen lingerie and other stolen items were traded for drugs while others were sold at yard sales.
Holmes said the investigation has extended to shoplifting thefts from stores in Flagstaff and Prescott where authorities also are investigating.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development