PHOENIX — Schools are starting up all over the state and that means colleges and universities aren’t far behind.
Plenty of nervous parents will be watching their teens head off to college but there are some things they can do to help put their minds at ease.
AAA Arizona said whether students are heading off to school out of state or staying nearby, there are some important tips that they should follow to keep out of trouble, especially with cars.
“Cars are a hot commodity in college,” said Michelle Donati, the public affairs supervisor for AAA Arizona. “If you have a car you’re going to have a lot of friends, you’re going to have a lot of people wanting to ride with you, and you’re going to have a lot of people asking to borrow your car.”
Donati said lending a car to roommates, friends or fellow students is a very bad idea, though, because car insurance follows the car and not the driver.
“You’re essentially loaning them your car insurance,” Donati said. “That means if there is a crash, that crash is going to go against whoever owns the vehicle, which is usually means mom and dad.”
Donati also recommended parents get their teens renter’s insurance to protect their things while students are away from home. She also said getting them some kind of roadside assistance is a good way to know they won’t ever get stranded somewhere.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments