PHOENIX — Schools are starting up all over the state and that means colleges and universities aren’t far behind.
Plenty of nervous parents will be watching their teens head off to college but there are some things they can do to help put their minds at ease.
AAA Arizona said whether students are heading off to school out of state or staying nearby, there are some important tips that they should follow to keep out of trouble, especially with cars.
“Cars are a hot commodity in college,” said Michelle Donati, the public affairs supervisor for AAA Arizona. “If you have a car you’re going to have a lot of friends, you’re going to have a lot of people wanting to ride with you, and you’re going to have a lot of people asking to borrow your car.”
Donati said lending a car to roommates, friends or fellow students is a very bad idea, though, because car insurance follows the car and not the driver.
“You’re essentially loaning them your car insurance,” Donati said. “That means if there is a crash, that crash is going to go against whoever owns the vehicle, which is usually means mom and dad.”
Donati also recommended parents get their teens renter’s insurance to protect their things while students are away from home. She also said getting them some kind of roadside assistance is a good way to know they won’t ever get stranded somewhere.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon