PHOENIX — Schools are starting up all over the state and that means colleges and universities aren’t far behind.
Plenty of nervous parents will be watching their teens head off to college but there are some things they can do to help put their minds at ease.
AAA Arizona said whether students are heading off to school out of state or staying nearby, there are some important tips that they should follow to keep out of trouble, especially with cars.
“Cars are a hot commodity in college,” said Michelle Donati, the public affairs supervisor for AAA Arizona. “If you have a car you’re going to have a lot of friends, you’re going to have a lot of people wanting to ride with you, and you’re going to have a lot of people asking to borrow your car.”
Donati said lending a car to roommates, friends or fellow students is a very bad idea, though, because car insurance follows the car and not the driver.
“You’re essentially loaning them your car insurance,” Donati said. “That means if there is a crash, that crash is going to go against whoever owns the vehicle, which is usually means mom and dad.”
Donati also recommended parents get their teens renter’s insurance to protect their things while students are away from home. She also said getting them some kind of roadside assistance is a good way to know they won’t ever get stranded somewhere.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas