PHOENIX — A popular Valley restaurant is about to turn 50.
It was Oct. 1964 when Mrs. White’s Golden Rule Café started serving up “Soul Food” at 8th Street and Jefferson in downtown Phoenix.
Elizabeth White, 91, said they have great things on the menu.
“Chicken Fried Steak. Oh, [the customers] love their chicken. We have pork chops, we have catfish and we have sword fish,” White said as she named just a few of the things the restaurant offers.
Over the years, the place has seen its share of celebrities come through the door.
“We had James Brown and his group,” she said. We’ve had Doc Severinson of the “Tonight” Show, we’ve had Shaquille O’Neal and Lou Rawls.”
And then there’s Charles Barkley.
“When he played with the Suns, he was definitely a regular,” White said.
She joked that, “I think that’s why he probably couldn’t perform as well because he was probably eating too many chitlins!”
The “Golden Rule” part comes when you pay the bill. You don’t get the check. After customers finish eating, they just come to the worker at the cash register and tell them what they ordered.
“We try to be honest with people and fair with people, and we want them to be honest and fair with us,” said White. “We want them to just come up and say, ‘We had chicken and lemonade and pie, or whatever they did eat.”
White is also a pastor and said she knows the secret to both a successful business and a long life.
“Trusting in the living God,” she said. “He’s the only one that can carry you through.”
The entire interview with Mrs. White will air on Aug. 16 at 7:30 a.m. on KTAR 92.3.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier