PHOENIX — A popular Valley restaurant is about to turn 50.
It was Oct. 1964 when Mrs. White’s Golden Rule Café started serving up “Soul Food” at 8th Street and Jefferson in downtown Phoenix.
Elizabeth White, 91, said they have great things on the menu.
“Chicken Fried Steak. Oh, [the customers] love their chicken. We have pork chops, we have catfish and we have sword fish,” White said as she named just a few of the things the restaurant offers.
Over the years, the place has seen its share of celebrities come through the door.
“We had James Brown and his group,” she said. We’ve had Doc Severinson of the “Tonight” Show, we’ve had Shaquille O’Neal and Lou Rawls.”
And then there’s Charles Barkley.
“When he played with the Suns, he was definitely a regular,” White said.
She joked that, “I think that’s why he probably couldn’t perform as well because he was probably eating too many chitlins!”
The “Golden Rule” part comes when you pay the bill. You don’t get the check. After customers finish eating, they just come to the worker at the cash register and tell them what they ordered.
“We try to be honest with people and fair with people, and we want them to be honest and fair with us,” said White. “We want them to just come up and say, ‘We had chicken and lemonade and pie, or whatever they did eat.”
White is also a pastor and said she knows the secret to both a successful business and a long life.
“Trusting in the living God,” she said. “He’s the only one that can carry you through.”
The entire interview with Mrs. White will air on Aug. 16 at 7:30 a.m. on KTAR 92.3.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon