SIERRA VISTA, Ariz. — Residents in a southeast Sierra Vista neighborhood have been told to boil their water until further notice.
Cochise Health and Social Services was notified Friday by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality about a problem with the East Slope Water Company.
Routine monthly water tests confirmed the presence of E. coli bacteria in the water system.
The utility company suspects the problem occurred in a hydromatic tank, not the well itself since that is completely sealed.
Routine chlorination occurs in the hydromatic tanks and it’s suspected a valve may have become stuck and allowed untreated water to pass through the tank.
Boiling water kills E. coli bacteria and coliforms.
Health officials say boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes and food preparation.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America