PHOENIX — Medical professionals who deal with infectious diseases struggle with the decision between duty to others and duty to themselves daily.
Ebola has ramped that up. Dr. David Beyda with Phoenix Children’s Hospital said the doctors and nurses in Africa are struggling with their consciences dealing with Ebola patients.
“The biggest danger is getting Ebola and dying from it,” Beyda said. “It’s an extremely difficult ethical decision to make. Caring for those who need help while at the same time protecting themselves so they don’t compromise their well-being or their family.”
The World Health Organization has declared Ebola to be an international health emergency after the deaths of almost 1,000 people in four West African countries.
“Obviously people move from country to country. I think with policies and procedures that are being put in place by the Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization we have a very good handle on making sure Ebola is contained in the areas it is currently in.”
Beyda is also a clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He directs the ethics and humanism theme for the medical school and also directs its global health program.
Since 2005 Beyda has led over 47 medical trips to Third World countries. He pilots forFlying Samaritans, flying to medical clinics in Mexico, and does bush flying in Africa. taking his medical teams to isolated areas.
“There’s no need for people to panic. We’re moving in the direction of being extremely aware of what the consequences are,” Beyda said.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl