PHOENIX — Medical professionals who deal with infectious diseases struggle with the decision between duty to others and duty to themselves daily.
Ebola has ramped that up. Dr. David Beyda with Phoenix Children’s Hospital said the doctors and nurses in Africa are struggling with their consciences dealing with Ebola patients.
“The biggest danger is getting Ebola and dying from it,” Beyda said. “It’s an extremely difficult ethical decision to make. Caring for those who need help while at the same time protecting themselves so they don’t compromise their well-being or their family.”
The World Health Organization has declared Ebola to be an international health emergency after the deaths of almost 1,000 people in four West African countries.
“Obviously people move from country to country. I think with policies and procedures that are being put in place by the Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization we have a very good handle on making sure Ebola is contained in the areas it is currently in.”
Beyda is also a clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He directs the ethics and humanism theme for the medical school and also directs its global health program.
Since 2005 Beyda has led over 47 medical trips to Third World countries. He pilots forFlying Samaritans, flying to medical clinics in Mexico, and does bush flying in Africa. taking his medical teams to isolated areas.
“There’s no need for people to panic. We’re moving in the direction of being extremely aware of what the consequences are,” Beyda said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths