PHOENIX — Kids are back in school, but it’s Mom and Dad who are getting “schooled” in the checkout lines.
A new survey by RetailMeNot.com said parents pay an average of $263 per child for the back-to-school stuff kids need.
In addition, about nine in 10 parents said their child participates in extra-curricular activities, so they are actually paying more.
“Parents are anticipating spending about $400 per child to fund any extra-curricular activities that their child may be involved with,” said shopping expert Trea Bodge.
And if you think it’s just the kids who play sports, guess again.
“There are dues for certain clubs, like the drama club or the chorus,” Bodge said. “There might be a uniform that they need to wear and costumes for the school play.”
Bodge said that there’s a way to save money buying band instruments and other extra-curricular needs.
“Buy them used on Craigslist or on eBay,” advised Bodge. “If your child changes their mind about what they’re participating in, you can actually sell the item back and make back your investment.”
Nearly 91 percent of parents responding to the survey are glad to have their kids back in school. Parents said that their house is quieter with the kids gone and that they no longer have to worry about how to keep their kids busy, like they did during the summer.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick