PHOENIX — Kids are back in school, but it’s Mom and Dad who are getting “schooled” in the checkout lines.
A new survey by RetailMeNot.com said parents pay an average of $263 per child for the back-to-school stuff kids need.
In addition, about nine in 10 parents said their child participates in extra-curricular activities, so they are actually paying more.
“Parents are anticipating spending about $400 per child to fund any extra-curricular activities that their child may be involved with,” said shopping expert Trea Bodge.
And if you think it’s just the kids who play sports, guess again.
“There are dues for certain clubs, like the drama club or the chorus,” Bodge said. “There might be a uniform that they need to wear and costumes for the school play.”
Bodge said that there’s a way to save money buying band instruments and other extra-curricular needs.
“Buy them used on Craigslist or on eBay,” advised Bodge. “If your child changes their mind about what they’re participating in, you can actually sell the item back and make back your investment.”
Nearly 91 percent of parents responding to the survey are glad to have their kids back in school. Parents said that their house is quieter with the kids gone and that they no longer have to worry about how to keep their kids busy, like they did during the summer.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths