PHOENIX — The West Valley is getting some extra cash, thanks to the East Valley.
Surprise, Ariz., is getting $125,000 from a consortium it belongs to that has U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-issued funding to provide decent housing for low- and moderate-income families.
“We received additional funding that the city of Gilbert decided not to use,” said Christina Ramirez, a neighborhood services supervisor for Surprise. “Gilbert returned the money to the consortium, which then gave an opportunity for a smaller city, such as ours, that doesn’t receive that much funding on a yearly basis. Because of this, we were able to almost double our allotment this year.”
Ramirez said that the city then works with nonprofits, like Habitat for Humanity, to provide homes. Many times those homes are built on land already owned by the family.
“We’ll either do major rehabilitation to an existing home of if that home cannot be feasibly rehabilitated, then we will replace it with a newly constructed home,” said Ramirez.
Four families are already on a waiting list and hoping that the funding will help them build a place to call home.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.