PHOENIX — The West Valley is getting some extra cash, thanks to the East Valley.
Surprise, Ariz., is getting $125,000 from a consortium it belongs to that has U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-issued funding to provide decent housing for low- and moderate-income families.
“We received additional funding that the city of Gilbert decided not to use,” said Christina Ramirez, a neighborhood services supervisor for Surprise. “Gilbert returned the money to the consortium, which then gave an opportunity for a smaller city, such as ours, that doesn’t receive that much funding on a yearly basis. Because of this, we were able to almost double our allotment this year.”
Ramirez said that the city then works with nonprofits, like Habitat for Humanity, to provide homes. Many times those homes are built on land already owned by the family.
“We’ll either do major rehabilitation to an existing home of if that home cannot be feasibly rehabilitated, then we will replace it with a newly constructed home,” said Ramirez.
Four families are already on a waiting list and hoping that the funding will help them build a place to call home.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon