PHOENIX — The West Valley is getting some extra cash, thanks to the East Valley.
Surprise, Ariz., is getting $125,000 from a consortium it belongs to that has U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-issued funding to provide decent housing for low- and moderate-income families.
“We received additional funding that the city of Gilbert decided not to use,” said Christina Ramirez, a neighborhood services supervisor for Surprise. “Gilbert returned the money to the consortium, which then gave an opportunity for a smaller city, such as ours, that doesn’t receive that much funding on a yearly basis. Because of this, we were able to almost double our allotment this year.”
Ramirez said that the city then works with nonprofits, like Habitat for Humanity, to provide homes. Many times those homes are built on land already owned by the family.
“We’ll either do major rehabilitation to an existing home of if that home cannot be feasibly rehabilitated, then we will replace it with a newly constructed home,” said Ramirez.
Four families are already on a waiting list and hoping that the funding will help them build a place to call home.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes