This is the story that YOU wanted to hear us talk about! It received 40 percent of the vote in our Radioactive poll!
In the United States, all children are entitled to a free public education — including those who are not here legally.
In many states, school has not started yet, but there is a decent chance approximately 50,000 immigrant children will enroll at schools across the country, adding to the financial burden and classroom size problems of many districts.
According to USA Today:
“We don’t know the educational background (of the students), if they’ve even been to school, the language issue and operational issues that could raise costs,” Francisco Negron, general counsel for the National School Board Association, says.
Under the No Child Left Behind Act, states have additional money set aside for students with a limited knowledge of English. The trouble is that those funds have not accounted for 50,000 new children.
Another added issue is that the students must have health screenings and many “need social and psychological services” to help cope with their current and past circumstances.
School officials in Georgia, Texas and Florida already know unaccompanied minors are in their state, “but they don’t know how many will end up enrolling and where.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident