PHOENIX — The Veterans Administration announced Thursday it would be opening a new $20 million health care center in Phoenix.
“This new facility will provide personalized health care services for Veterans and allow us to expand services at the main hospital campus,” said Dr. Darren Deering, adding the facility is expected to offer primary care, mental health care and labs, among numerous other things.
The facility is expected to treat as many as 120,000 veterans. It will cost more than $20 million to build.
“We are very pleased to have funding approved for this health care center,” said Glenn Costie, interim CEO/medical center director in a press release. “The new space will allow us to continue to make progress in providing better access for Veterans who have earned and deserve the best care.”
A location for the new facility has not been chosen. It is expected to open in 2019.
The news of the facility came on the coattails of a $16.3 billion overhaul of veteran health care signed by President Barack Obama on Thursday.
“This will not and cannot be the end of our effort,” Obama said. “And even as we focus on the urgent reforms we need at the VA right now, particularly around wait lists and the health care system, we can’t lose sight of our long-term goals for our service members and our veterans.”
New Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert McDonald will be in Phoenix on Friday as part of a tour to host town halls. He hopes to get feedback from veterans and VA employees.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona