PHOENIX — The Veterans Administration announced Thursday it would be opening a new $20 million health care center in Phoenix.
“This new facility will provide personalized health care services for Veterans and allow us to expand services at the main hospital campus,” said Dr. Darren Deering, adding the facility is expected to offer primary care, mental health care and labs, among numerous other things.
The facility is expected to treat as many as 120,000 veterans. It will cost more than $20 million to build.
“We are very pleased to have funding approved for this health care center,” said Glenn Costie, interim CEO/medical center director in a press release. “The new space will allow us to continue to make progress in providing better access for Veterans who have earned and deserve the best care.”
A location for the new facility has not been chosen. It is expected to open in 2019.
The news of the facility came on the coattails of a $16.3 billion overhaul of veteran health care signed by President Barack Obama on Thursday.
“This will not and cannot be the end of our effort,” Obama said. “And even as we focus on the urgent reforms we need at the VA right now, particularly around wait lists and the health care system, we can’t lose sight of our long-term goals for our service members and our veterans.”
New Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert McDonald will be in Phoenix on Friday as part of a tour to host town halls. He hopes to get feedback from veterans and VA employees.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas