PHOENIX — The Veterans Administration announced Thursday it would be opening a new $20 million health care center in Phoenix.
“This new facility will provide personalized health care services for Veterans and allow us to expand services at the main hospital campus,” said Dr. Darren Deering, adding the facility is expected to offer primary care, mental health care and labs, among numerous other things.
The facility is expected to treat as many as 120,000 veterans. It will cost more than $20 million to build.
“We are very pleased to have funding approved for this health care center,” said Glenn Costie, interim CEO/medical center director in a press release. “The new space will allow us to continue to make progress in providing better access for Veterans who have earned and deserve the best care.”
A location for the new facility has not been chosen. It is expected to open in 2019.
The news of the facility came on the coattails of a $16.3 billion overhaul of veteran health care signed by President Barack Obama on Thursday.
“This will not and cannot be the end of our effort,” Obama said. “And even as we focus on the urgent reforms we need at the VA right now, particularly around wait lists and the health care system, we can’t lose sight of our long-term goals for our service members and our veterans.”
New Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert McDonald will be in Phoenix on Friday as part of a tour to host town halls. He hopes to get feedback from veterans and VA employees.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon