PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer believes former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is the best candidate to take her place.
At an event held Thursday at Cubs Park in Mesa, Ariz., Brewer endorsed Smith for governor in the Republican primary.
“It’s time to pass the torch on to the next person to lead our beloved state,” Brewer said. “… Scott Smith … has left his city better than when he found it. He didn’t shy away from leading in a time of crisis and most importantly, he told the citizens the truth.
“That’s what we need in our next governor and that’s why I’m endorsing Mayor Scott Smith in the Republican primary.”
— Mayor Scott Smith (@Mayor_Smith) August 7, 2014
Paul Bentz, vice president of accounts and strategy for HighGround, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday that Brewer’s endorsement would be worth about 10 points in the polls.
“The last survey we did had her about a 65 percent approval rating among Republicans,” he said. “I think that would definitely be a game-changer.”
According to a July poll, Smith has only 16 percent of the voters’ support, trailing behind fellow Republican candidate Christine Jones, as well as Ducey; however, 50 percent of Republican voters said they were still undecided.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates