PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer believes former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is the best candidate to take her place.
At an event held Thursday at Cubs Park in Mesa, Ariz., Brewer endorsed Smith for governor in the Republican primary.
“It’s time to pass the torch on to the next person to lead our beloved state,” Brewer said. “… Scott Smith … has left his city better than when he found it. He didn’t shy away from leading in a time of crisis and most importantly, he told the citizens the truth.
“That’s what we need in our next governor and that’s why I’m endorsing Mayor Scott Smith in the Republican primary.”
— Mayor Scott Smith (@Mayor_Smith) August 7, 2014
Paul Bentz, vice president of accounts and strategy for HighGround, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday that Brewer’s endorsement would be worth about 10 points in the polls.
“The last survey we did had her about a 65 percent approval rating among Republicans,” he said. “I think that would definitely be a game-changer.”
According to a July poll, Smith has only 16 percent of the voters’ support, trailing behind fellow Republican candidate Christine Jones, as well as Ducey; however, 50 percent of Republican voters said they were still undecided.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon