PHOENIX — Gov. Jan Brewer believes former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is the best candidate to take her place.
At an event held Thursday at Cubs Park in Mesa, Ariz., Brewer endorsed Smith for governor in the Republican primary.
“It’s time to pass the torch on to the next person to lead our beloved state,” Brewer said. “… Scott Smith … has left his city better than when he found it. He didn’t shy away from leading in a time of crisis and most importantly, he told the citizens the truth.
“That’s what we need in our next governor and that’s why I’m endorsing Mayor Scott Smith in the Republican primary.”
— Mayor Scott Smith (@Mayor_Smith) August 7, 2014
Paul Bentz, vice president of accounts and strategy for HighGround, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday that Brewer’s endorsement would be worth about 10 points in the polls.
“The last survey we did had her about a 65 percent approval rating among Republicans,” he said. “I think that would definitely be a game-changer.”
According to a July poll, Smith has only 16 percent of the voters’ support, trailing behind fellow Republican candidate Christine Jones, as well as Ducey; however, 50 percent of Republican voters said they were still undecided.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier