PHOENIX — More sad news about the 79 cats rescued from a hoarding house in Gilbert, Ariz. last month.
Maricopa County Animal Care and Control said Wednesday that almost all of the cats had to be put down. Employees tried for awhile to treat the cats, but many of them tested positive for diseases and weren’t doing well when they integrated with other cats.
“In this case, not only were the cats not healthy, they just weren’t well-socialized, [even] semi-feral,” said Melissa Gable with animal care and control. “[They’re] not the type of cat that we would normally put up for adoption at our shelter.”
Gable added, however, that few of the felines will make it to the adoption process.
“Five [cats] went to a rescue partner,” she said. “There were two small kittens, and those kittens are both in foster care. We expect them to be up for adoption in the coming weeks.”
Gable said the best thing people can do to help out in situations, such as hoarding, is to go to a local shelter and adopt.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon