PHOENIX — It may only be August, but the City of Phoenix is talking about how it can pay for its holiday light display.
City Councilman Michael Nowakowski remembers the way it was when he was a kid.
“I remember driving my mom’s old yellow station wagon down Central Avenue and looking at the Christmas lights,” he said.
The city wants to put up lights this year along Central Avenue, between Camelback and Baseline roads.
Nowakowski said the city would like to raise about $75,000 for the display and is offering sponsorships to pay for it. Companies would have their name on the display along the route and in many other places.
“You’ll be placed on social media,” said Nowakowski. “We’re going to have a bi-monthly newsletter that will be out there, and (ads in) our water bill that will let people know about all of the great sponsors of our holiday lights.”
Advertisements will also air during Nowakowski’s TV show that airs on Phoenix Channel 11.
Companies have until 2 p.m. on Aug. 22 to sign up. For more information, go to Phoenix.gov. Interested parties can also call the city at (602) 262-7654 or contact Layla Ressler at email@example.com.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains