PHOENIX — Former Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is expected to get Gov. Jan
Brewer’s endorsement Thursday in the Republican governor’s race primary.
Brewer and Smith are scheduled to host a “special event” on Thursday. Her decision to finally choose among the six Republicans vying to
replace her comes after weeks of indecision by the governor and nearly a week
after ballots were sent to voters.
Brewer’s endorsement would breathe new life into Smith’s campaign. A poll conducted late last month showed him with 16 percent of the support. He slightly trailed Christine Jones, the current favorite, and Arizona Treasurer Doug Ducey. Others in the race include Secretary of State Ken Bennett,
former Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas and former U.S. Rep. Frank Riggs.
However, the poll said 50 percent of Republican voters had not decided who they would back in the Aug. 26 primary.
Political expert Michael O’Neil said it’s still anybody’s race, but Brewer’s support would definitely give Smith, who trails Jones and Ducey in fundraising, the boost in the polls.
“This is absolutely the right moment for somebody to break out and I think the gubernatorial endorsement may be a catalyst of that,” he said.
O’Neil said he expects Ducey and Jones to start attacking Smith should the endorsement become official.
The likelihood of attack ads will increase considering Brewer’s endorsement is worth about 10 points in the polls, HighGround Vice President of Accounts and Strategy Paul Bentz told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday.
“The last survey we did had her about a 65 percent approval rating among Republicans,” he said. “I think that would definitely be a game-changer.”
Longtime Brewer political adviser Chuck Coughlin strongly supports Smith and
had been urging the governor to back his candidacy.
The event will be held at the new Cubs Park in Mesa, a facility whose acquisition and construction was championed by Smith during his time as mayor.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development