PHOENIX — Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert McDonald will be in Phoenix on Friday to meet with employees of the VA and veterans.
The visit is likely part of a new program enacted by McDonald. According to the Military Times, his goal is to host a town hall-style meeting at all health and benefit centers under his administration’s control to get feedback from employees and veterans.
“Caring for veterans is a calling, and our first commitment is to provide veterans and their families the timely, quality care and benefits they have earned and deserve through their service to our nation,” McDonald said in a statement. “It is critical that we continue to listen and learn directly from those who use our system.”
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) said she would meet with McDonald.
“I look forward to meeting Secretary McDonald and continuing the work necessary to ensure all our veterans receive the quality care they deserve,” she said in a release.
Phoenix was at the forefront of a scandal that blew the VA wide open after it was revealed thousands of veterans were forced to wait for months or years to visit a primary care doctor.
McDonald is expected to speak with media after the meetings.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.