PHOENIX — Sports cars and young women are not the only things that men end up with during a midlife crisis.
They also get “manopause.”
Just like women, when men reach a certain age, their bodies start to change.
“Men also, as they age, lose their testosterone, which can lead to the ‘manopause’ symptoms,” Valley hormone specialist Dr. Angela DeRosa said.
Symptoms of manopause include weight gain, mood swings, low libido, irritability and a lack of energy.
“They kind of lose that killer instinct that guys get,” DeRosa said.
The most common symptom of manopause, however, is erectile dysfunction, and that is what drives most middle-aged men to see hormone specialists.
“It takes two ways to get a man in to see the doctor,” DeRosa joked. “It is either in an ambulance or with erectile dysfunction.”
Manopause, similar to menopause, is an inevitable part of life.
“You’re never going to feel the way you did in your 20s,” she said.
There are a few things men can do to lessen the symptoms of manopause.
“At some point, your testosterone levels are going to drop below optimum (levels) for you and they’re probably going to start causing issues,” she explained. “But if you eat right and take good care of yourself, it’s less likely to be as traumatic.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life