PHOENIX — Sports cars and young women are not the only things that men end up with during a midlife crisis.
They also get “manopause.”
Just like women, when men reach a certain age, their bodies start to change.
“Men also, as they age, lose their testosterone, which can lead to the ‘manopause’ symptoms,” Valley hormone specialist Dr. Angela DeRosa said.
Symptoms of manopause include weight gain, mood swings, low libido, irritability and a lack of energy.
“They kind of lose that killer instinct that guys get,” DeRosa said.
The most common symptom of manopause, however, is erectile dysfunction, and that is what drives most middle-aged men to see hormone specialists.
“It takes two ways to get a man in to see the doctor,” DeRosa joked. “It is either in an ambulance or with erectile dysfunction.”
Manopause, similar to menopause, is an inevitable part of life.
“You’re never going to feel the way you did in your 20s,” she said.
There are a few things men can do to lessen the symptoms of manopause.
“At some point, your testosterone levels are going to drop below optimum (levels) for you and they’re probably going to start causing issues,” she explained. “But if you eat right and take good care of yourself, it’s less likely to be as traumatic.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them