PHOENIX — Sports cars and young women are not the only things that men end up with during a midlife crisis.
They also get “manopause.”
Just like women, when men reach a certain age, their bodies start to change.
“Men also, as they age, lose their testosterone, which can lead to the ‘manopause’ symptoms,” Valley hormone specialist Dr. Angela DeRosa said.
Symptoms of manopause include weight gain, mood swings, low libido, irritability and a lack of energy.
“They kind of lose that killer instinct that guys get,” DeRosa said.
The most common symptom of manopause, however, is erectile dysfunction, and that is what drives most middle-aged men to see hormone specialists.
“It takes two ways to get a man in to see the doctor,” DeRosa joked. “It is either in an ambulance or with erectile dysfunction.”
Manopause, similar to menopause, is an inevitable part of life.
“You’re never going to feel the way you did in your 20s,” she said.
There are a few things men can do to lessen the symptoms of manopause.
“At some point, your testosterone levels are going to drop below optimum (levels) for you and they’re probably going to start causing issues,” she explained. “But if you eat right and take good care of yourself, it’s less likely to be as traumatic.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night