PHOENIX — Having the best tailgate or football watch party food might mean more to some than if their team wins.
For those tailgate connoisseurs, they might want to try their hand at the Game Day Chef Challenge.
“The Game Day Chef Challenge is a regional cooking contest that Chevron is putting on,” Andrew Johnston, representative for the challenge, said. “It’s open to residents of Arizona, Oregon, Washington and California.”
Johnston said it’s a pretty simple challenge: Contestants work up their best game day fare, but with a twist.
“What we’re doing is we’re inviting them to take a dish that they prepare for watch parties or for tailgating and put a unique spin on it by going to a Chevron or Texaco location and grabbing any food or non-alcoholic beverage item from the store and incorporating it to their dish,” he said.
Entries for the contests opened on Aug. 1 and Johnston said he’s already seen some interesting and creative ideas.
“There’s a really interesting dish that I would not have thought you could have made with products from Chevron,” he said. “It’s called the Man-Sized Pasta Pie, and it looks like they actually purchased pasta from a Chevron location and combined it with some spinach, mozzarella cheese and made what looks like pasta casserole.”
Johnston said the more creative the better, and the best 15 from Arizona will be narrowed down at the end of the submission period on Sept. 30.
The top five of those 15 will be offered the opportunity to cook their dish in front of judges at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., before an Arizona Cardinals game on Oct. 26.
Those judges will then narrow the field to one final representative who will duke it out for the ultimate tailgate dish against winners from Oregon, Washington and California at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., for a chance to win $25,000 in Chevron promotional cards, Johnston said.
Johnston said that to enter, contestants must include a Chevron or Texaco receipt showing the ingredient they purchased, an original recipe, a name and photo of the dish.
For more information visit TheGameDayChef.com.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick