PHOENIX — An Arizona woman collects her first prize winnings on Wednesday.
A dog food company will give Linda Nichols $10,000, while also donating a half a million dollars for a project that will have dogs in the northern part of the state wagging their tails.
Nichols is this year’s winner of an annual contest held by Beneful Dog Food.
“Each year, we invite our consumers to answer the question, ‘If you had $500,000 to create a dream dog park where you and your best buddy can play together, what would you do?'” asked Moronke Tyler, spokeswoman for Beneful.
Nichols won for her fire station-themed idea for the Willow Creek Dog Park in Prescott Valley.
“It will have a fire truck play area, fire hose-shaped tunnels and a covered firehouse lounge area with tables for owners to enjoy,” Tyler said.
It will also have a fire hydrant.
“There will be some misting elements in the park that meet all of the guidelines that are set by the city that will have a hydrant theme,” she laughed. “We’re hoping that the dogs will enjoy the water and not some of the other ‘benefits.'”
The groundbreaking and unveiling of the park’s design will be revealed Wednesday during ceremonies that are only open to certain Prescott Valley dignitaries.
The park is expected to be open to the public by Thanksgiving.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas