PHOENIX — An Arizona woman collects her first prize winnings on Wednesday.
A dog food company will give Linda Nichols $10,000, while also donating a half a million dollars for a project that will have dogs in the northern part of the state wagging their tails.
Nichols is this year’s winner of an annual contest held by Beneful Dog Food.
“Each year, we invite our consumers to answer the question, ‘If you had $500,000 to create a dream dog park where you and your best buddy can play together, what would you do?'” asked Moronke Tyler, spokeswoman for Beneful.
Nichols won for her fire station-themed idea for the Willow Creek Dog Park in Prescott Valley.
“It will have a fire truck play area, fire hose-shaped tunnels and a covered firehouse lounge area with tables for owners to enjoy,” Tyler said.
It will also have a fire hydrant.
“There will be some misting elements in the park that meet all of the guidelines that are set by the city that will have a hydrant theme,” she laughed. “We’re hoping that the dogs will enjoy the water and not some of the other ‘benefits.'”
The groundbreaking and unveiling of the park’s design will be revealed Wednesday during ceremonies that are only open to certain Prescott Valley dignitaries.
The park is expected to be open to the public by Thanksgiving.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains