The number of children being raised by their grandparents shot up, doubling from 2000's 2.4 million to 4.9 million in 2010, according to U.S. Census figures.
Many times, situations arise in which a child can no longer safely live with a biological parent or legal guardian, Mary Jane Di Paolo, assistant director of Community Child Care Solutions, told USA Today and the New Jersey Courier News. She said that New Jersey's Department of Child and Families tries to place children first with relatives and acquaintances whom the child knows, which may be one reason more children are living with grandparents.
“Grandparents provide similar family values that the parent was raised with. This could be a comfort to both the parent and child,” she said.
According to the Child Welfare Information Gateway, “Often, grandparents take on this obligation when the grandchildren's own parents abandon them or when the children can no longer live with them because of the parent's mental disorder, substance abuse, or incarceration.”
The federal government has created a list of resources for grandparents who are raising their grandkids. It includes potential for some financial support, tips and health and safety resources.
State and local agencies are also trying to help. For instance, in Oklahoma, police agencies, aging services, a local recycler and others have teamed up to involve the entire community in filling backpacks with grade-appropriate supplies to help grandparents outfit children for the upcoming school year, according to The Edmond Sun.
The University of Wisconsin cooperative extension offers a series of fact sheets for grandparents who are doing an encore parenting stint. Topics range from child development to disruption in relationships and how to form close bonds.
The AARP GrandFamilies Guide looks at everything from legal issues to finance, work, education and childcare, support and more. It also has a list of documents that will make it easier for grandparents raising their grandchildren, including birth certificates, death certificates if the child's parents are dead, divorce decrees, Social Security cards, medical records, guardianship papers and power of attorney, consent forms signed by parents if applicable, school papers, documentation of income and assets if applying for any financial assistance including reduced or free school lunches, citizenship papers and more.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: Loisco
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon