PHOENIX — A report from Arizona State University’s school of business said the Valley housing market is officially in a slump.
The W.P. Carey School of Business study said the median single-family home prices have slowed dramatically from last year, even though prices went up 11 percent in June in Maricopa and Pinal counties.
Prices jumped from $190,000 last June to $211,000, but professor Mike Orr said he doesn’t expect much help for home prices until next year.
“Prices are expected to be a little weaker because buyer enthusiasm is lower during the second half of the year.”
Single-family home sales dropped 11 percent in June from the same month in 2013. Orr said there’s an encouraging sign for builders.
“There was an uptick in new home sales in June and the highest monthly total of new single-family construction permits in more than two years.”
Orr said home prices may fall a bit this year but he doesn’t expect the bubble to burst again as some are predicting.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night