PHOENIX — One organization is offering scholarships to a three-month program designed to help veterans reintegrate into civilian life and deal with issues, such as PTSD.
“We are trying to fill the gap in veterans’ care,” said Brian Mancini with the nonprofit Honor House.
The program, called Operation Healing Journey, still has spots available and strives to find services within three to five miles of the veteran’s home.
“For pain management, we’re trying to introduce healthy alternatives that they can find within their communities, such as spinal networking, acupuncture, massage therapy and chiropractic care,” said Mancini, a 13-year veteran combat medic.
For treatment of symptoms of PTSD, Mancini said they integrate yoga, tai chi and deep breathing exercises.
“What we do is we have a veteran reintegration specialist — a licensed social worker that meets with the veteran,” he said. “[They] create a customized healing calendar, coordinate that plan of action and the Honor House helps offset the financial cost that is associated with it.”
At a cost of $5,000 per participant, many of the alternative healing methods are not
covered by the veterans’ health insurance.
“We recognize that this generation suffered a lot fighting our nation’s longest running conflicts, and we want to help aide in that traditional healing process,” he said.
The Honor House is asking for community groups or corporate offices to help sponsor a veteran by going through the Operation Healing Journey program. The nonprofit is also looking for community-based providers that offer these types of services that would be willing to reduce costs to contact the organization.
For more information on how to apply or to donate online, go to HonorHouse.org.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier