PHOENIX — One organization is offering scholarships to a three-month program designed to help veterans reintegrate into civilian life and deal with issues, such as PTSD.
“We are trying to fill the gap in veterans’ care,” said Brian Mancini with the nonprofit Honor House.
The program, called Operation Healing Journey, still has spots available and strives to find services within three to five miles of the veteran’s home.
“For pain management, we’re trying to introduce healthy alternatives that they can find within their communities, such as spinal networking, acupuncture, massage therapy and chiropractic care,” said Mancini, a 13-year veteran combat medic.
For treatment of symptoms of PTSD, Mancini said they integrate yoga, tai chi and deep breathing exercises.
“What we do is we have a veteran reintegration specialist — a licensed social worker that meets with the veteran,” he said. “[They] create a customized healing calendar, coordinate that plan of action and the Honor House helps offset the financial cost that is associated with it.”
At a cost of $5,000 per participant, many of the alternative healing methods are not
covered by the veterans’ health insurance.
“We recognize that this generation suffered a lot fighting our nation’s longest running conflicts, and we want to help aide in that traditional healing process,” he said.
The Honor House is asking for community groups or corporate offices to help sponsor a veteran by going through the Operation Healing Journey program. The nonprofit is also looking for community-based providers that offer these types of services that would be willing to reduce costs to contact the organization.
For more information on how to apply or to donate online, go to HonorHouse.org.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food