PHOENIX — To help defray the rising costs of back-to-school supplies, one Chandler mom is turning to crowdfunding.
Deb Hardy and her kids are used to hand-me-downs, having already recycling items and clothing from the past year.
But some items just can’t be bought at a thrift store.
“My middle schooler is my most expensive,” Hardy told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “His math class alone, he needs an advanced graphic scientific calculator that cost over $120, let alone choir money by the end of the first month of $35.”
Hardy, a single mom, is employed; however, she makes just enough not to be eligible for any aid or grants from the state or school system. Most of her paycheck, she said, goes to taxes and medical insurance for her family.
“[I’m] trying to let them do the clubs that they want to do that I got to do as a kid, but they all cost now,” she lamented.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, and the Hardy family thought they would turn to crowdfunding for a last resort.
“If a guy can get $55,000 for potato salad, maybe they can get $1,000 to get what they want for school for one year,” she remarked.
Hardy was adamant that she and her children have cut corners as much as feasibly possible, saying one of her sons raised the money he needed for scout camp all on his own. He also worked in the school cafeteria last year, so he could afford hot lunches.
In all, the Hardys are asking for $1,000 on GoFundMe, a crowdfunding website, about a third of which would go to school supplies alone.
If you would like to donate to the Hardy family, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident