PHOENIX — To help defray the rising costs of back-to-school supplies, one Chandler mom is turning to crowdfunding.
Deb Hardy and her kids are used to hand-me-downs, having already recycling items and clothing from the past year.
But some items just can’t be bought at a thrift store.
“My middle schooler is my most expensive,” Hardy told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “His math class alone, he needs an advanced graphic scientific calculator that cost over $120, let alone choir money by the end of the first month of $35.”
Hardy, a single mom, is employed; however, she makes just enough not to be eligible for any aid or grants from the state or school system. Most of her paycheck, she said, goes to taxes and medical insurance for her family.
“[I’m] trying to let them do the clubs that they want to do that I got to do as a kid, but they all cost now,” she lamented.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, and the Hardy family thought they would turn to crowdfunding for a last resort.
“If a guy can get $55,000 for potato salad, maybe they can get $1,000 to get what they want for school for one year,” she remarked.
Hardy was adamant that she and her children have cut corners as much as feasibly possible, saying one of her sons raised the money he needed for scout camp all on his own. He also worked in the school cafeteria last year, so he could afford hot lunches.
In all, the Hardys are asking for $1,000 on GoFundMe, a crowdfunding website, about a third of which would go to school supplies alone.
If you would like to donate to the Hardy family, click here.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident