The results for the 2014 Arizona’s Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) test have been released, and Arizona is seeing positive results.
President and CEO of Expect More Arizona Pearl Chan Esau said Arizona saw an increase in percentage points in math, reading and writing.
Notably, this was also the first year where there was a move in government for reading.
Arizona recently passed a law where third graders could be retained if they scored far below in their reading AIMS test scores.
Back in 2011, about 1,600 students would’ve been at risk of being retained prior to this law and this year, the number went down to 600.
“There are a lot of things we can thank for that, and certainly the implementation of higher education standards is one of [them],” she said.
Next year, however, a new test will be replacing the AIMS. “It was a pretty low bar test. We were allowing high schoolers to graduate at a 10th grade proficiency level which isn’t where we want our graduates to be,” she said.
The new exam will be more rigorous, and will test the student’s critical thinking rather than focusing on memorization.
“It’ll be a better indicator of whether our kids are on track to be successful.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths