PHOENIX — Arizona has a new superhero out protecting the state’s air quality, and he’s looking for help from Valley residents.
The Superman-esque “No Burn Man” is cloaked in a blue jumpsuit and red cape and boots and is out to raise awareness about no burn days, according to Mark Shaffer with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.
“(We’re) trying to make people aware of the problems that we’ve had with the inversion,” said Shaffer.
Inversion commonly occurs in the winter and is when a layer of stagnant warm air traps a layer of cold air beneath it. If Valley residents use fireplaces or fire pits during that time, smoke can get trapped in the lower layer and cause severe air quality problems, Shaffer said.
As the department begins using its new superhero to encourage people not to burn things during no burn days, Shaffer said they’re looking to get the public involved with a video contest.
“We’re asking people to submit entries of either 15 or 30 seconds long and the cut-off deadline for submission is Sept. 15,” he said. “We’re encouraging clever ideas that they can encapsulate in a short video form, that illustrate the problem, tell people what they shouldn’t do and then the cleverer the better.”
The department will review all the video submissions and pick a winner on Oct. 15. Shaffer said the winning video will be promoted by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality online and through social media.
To see more entry information and list of rules, visit www.azdeq.gov/noburn or watch the video below.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon