PHOENIX — Arizona has a new superhero out protecting the state’s air quality, and he’s looking for help from Valley residents.
The Superman-esque “No Burn Man” is cloaked in a blue jumpsuit and red cape and boots and is out to raise awareness about no burn days, according to Mark Shaffer with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.
“(We’re) trying to make people aware of the problems that we’ve had with the inversion,” said Shaffer.
Inversion commonly occurs in the winter and is when a layer of stagnant warm air traps a layer of cold air beneath it. If Valley residents use fireplaces or fire pits during that time, smoke can get trapped in the lower layer and cause severe air quality problems, Shaffer said.
As the department begins using its new superhero to encourage people not to burn things during no burn days, Shaffer said they’re looking to get the public involved with a video contest.
“We’re asking people to submit entries of either 15 or 30 seconds long and the cut-off deadline for submission is Sept. 15,” he said. “We’re encouraging clever ideas that they can encapsulate in a short video form, that illustrate the problem, tell people what they shouldn’t do and then the cleverer the better.”
The department will review all the video submissions and pick a winner on Oct. 15. Shaffer said the winning video will be promoted by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality online and through social media.
To see more entry information and list of rules, visit www.azdeq.gov/noburn or watch the video below.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths