PHOENIX — School is getting under way across the Valley and one local business is reminding people about protecting their child’s information.
Often times schools, paperwork, enrollment forms and daycares might ask for a student’s personal information. Adam Levine, CEO and founder of IDT 911, a Scottsdale-based identity and data risk management firm, said that information can be a target for identity thieves.
“Social Security numbers of children are pristine,” he said.
Levine said some identity thieves look to target children’s information because of how rarely most people check up on their child’s credit or financial information.
“If I’m an identity thief and I can get a child’s Social Security number, I know that I’ve got, literally, 15 or 17 years of undisturbed activity time,” he said.
“Children don’t ever look at their credit and most parents don’t take the time to check out their children’s credit report to see if there is a credit report.”
Credit reports or notifications of a credit balance under a child’s name should be a red flag that their identity may have been stolen, Levine said.
To keep kids safe, Levine said parents need to be vigilant in protecting their child’s information and making sure documents such as birth certificates and Social Security cards are locked up and safe. Levine also recommended double-checking why a child’s personal information is needed in the first place.
“The first thing you need to ask as a parent is, ‘Why do you need this information?'” Levin said. “Then, ‘Once I give it to you, what are you going to do with it?'”
Levine also recommends not sharing too much information such as addresses, birthdays and pictures online to avoid giving out sensitive information to would-be thieves.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food