PHOENIX — School is back in session, and parents are on the lookout for the best quality of education for their children.
The leading personal finance social network WalletHub has created a list of 2014’s best and worst school systems in the nation.
Arizona didn’t fare well, ranking 43rd among the 50 states and the District of Columbia.
The personal-finance site used 12 key metrics, including dropout rates, test scores and bullying incident rates, to assess the quality of education in each state.
Among other rankings, Arizona was listed 35th for its dropout rates, 46th for reading test scores, 36th for math test scores and 49th for pupil-to-teacher ratio.
Arizona ranked 38th on school safety.
The best school systems belonged to New Jersey, Massachusetts and Vermont. The bottom states were Alabama, Mississippi and the District of Columbia, respectively.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon