PHOENIX — As more school districts start up across the Valley this week, a wave of freshly-licensed teens will be getting behind the wheel and driving themselves to school for the first time.
AAA Arizona’s Stephanie Dembowski said it’s an important time for parents to talk with their kids about being safe while driving.
“So if you’re a parent with a teen driving and maybe this is the first year they’ll be driving to school you really want to go over with them the importance of all of those things, remaining alert and maybe they’re driving their friends to school, they need to stay focused,” Dembowski said.
“They need to stay focused on the task at hand and that’s getting to school safe.”
With most teens now equipped with cell phones and other electronic devices, Dembowski said there are no shortages of distractions for young drivers so parents need to be vigilant in reminding their kids to stay focused.
Dembowski said drivers who take their eyes off the road for only two seconds double their chances of getting in an accident.
She also said it’s important for parents to set good examples for their kids.
“If they see you messing with the radio, talking on the phone (or) texting and driving while they’re in the car, they’re going to think it’s OK for them to do it too,” she said.
AAA Arizona has several resources available to parents to help teach their teens about safe driving, Dembowski said. Those resources include several safety programs that can be accessed here.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy