PHOENIX — As more school districts start up across the Valley this week, a wave of freshly-licensed teens will be getting behind the wheel and driving themselves to school for the first time.
AAA Arizona’s Stephanie Dembowski said it’s an important time for parents to talk with their kids about being safe while driving.
“So if you’re a parent with a teen driving and maybe this is the first year they’ll be driving to school you really want to go over with them the importance of all of those things, remaining alert and maybe they’re driving their friends to school, they need to stay focused,” Dembowski said.
“They need to stay focused on the task at hand and that’s getting to school safe.”
With most teens now equipped with cell phones and other electronic devices, Dembowski said there are no shortages of distractions for young drivers so parents need to be vigilant in reminding their kids to stay focused.
Dembowski said drivers who take their eyes off the road for only two seconds double their chances of getting in an accident.
She also said it’s important for parents to set good examples for their kids.
“If they see you messing with the radio, talking on the phone (or) texting and driving while they’re in the car, they’re going to think it’s OK for them to do it too,” she said.
AAA Arizona has several resources available to parents to help teach their teens about safe driving, Dembowski said. Those resources include several safety programs that can be accessed here.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America