PHOENIX — As more school districts start up across the Valley this week, a wave of freshly-licensed teens will be getting behind the wheel and driving themselves to school for the first time.
AAA Arizona’s Stephanie Dembowski said it’s an important time for parents to talk with their kids about being safe while driving.
“So if you’re a parent with a teen driving and maybe this is the first year they’ll be driving to school you really want to go over with them the importance of all of those things, remaining alert and maybe they’re driving their friends to school, they need to stay focused,” Dembowski said.
“They need to stay focused on the task at hand and that’s getting to school safe.”
With most teens now equipped with cell phones and other electronic devices, Dembowski said there are no shortages of distractions for young drivers so parents need to be vigilant in reminding their kids to stay focused.
Dembowski said drivers who take their eyes off the road for only two seconds double their chances of getting in an accident.
She also said it’s important for parents to set good examples for their kids.
“If they see you messing with the radio, talking on the phone (or) texting and driving while they’re in the car, they’re going to think it’s OK for them to do it too,” she said.
AAA Arizona has several resources available to parents to help teach their teens about safe driving, Dembowski said. Those resources include several safety programs that can be accessed here.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development