PHOENIX – A high-tech crime program is paying off in one Valley city.
The city of Gilbert began using Data Driven Approaches to Crime and Traffic Safety, also known as DDACTS, about two years ago and reports it has been seeing large reductions of crime in its communities.
DDACTS allows police to analyze and map crime data to determine where high density crime areas are within the city of Gilbert, according to a press release, and that has resulted in an 11 percent reduction in violent crimes over the past two years and a 39 percent reduction in burglaries in the same time span.
Gilbert is also attributing a successful drug investigation that saw several search warrants served and arrests made last week in part to the data compiled by DDACTS.
The search warrants were served on three houses in Gilbert and in a coordinated effort with other warrants served in Phoenix and Chandler, saw 39 arrests as well as pounds of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamines and marijuana taken off the streets.
The city also reports that active and concerned citizens have also played a role in the program’s success by reporting suspicious activity through the DDACTS mobile app. The city announced that has played a significant role in the cultivation of crime data and effectiveness of the program.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon