PHOENIX — Two Marines have created The Wounded Walk to reach out to other veterans while trekking across the country.
The Wounded Walk is about to come through Phoenix, as Adam Shatarsky and Ross Delafield are leading a group that will be going 308 miles on foot through the Mojave Desert along Interstate 10. The two of them are calling this part of the journey “Mission Mojave,” which started last Friday.
“Ross and I, too, struggle with our demons, and we want our veterans to know that they’re not alone, and that their voice can be heard,” Shatarsky said.
Their nonprofit hopes to raise awareness of “an epidemic of veteran suicide,” while also aiming to raise funds for prevention efforts thereof.
“We definitely encourage people to come out and walk with us,” Delafield said. “And we also are planning to be able to afford the opportunity to other people to experience what we’re experiencing — and not only on a one-time thing. We want to have walks going all over the country.”
They said they hope to reach Phoenix by Sept. 1.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again