PHOENIX — Two Marines have created The Wounded Walk to reach out to other veterans while trekking across the country.
The Wounded Walk is about to come through Phoenix, as Adam Shatarsky and Ross Delafield are leading a group that will be going 308 miles on foot through the Mojave Desert along Interstate 10. The two of them are calling this part of the journey “Mission Mojave,” which started last Friday.
“Ross and I, too, struggle with our demons, and we want our veterans to know that they’re not alone, and that their voice can be heard,” Shatarsky said.
Their nonprofit hopes to raise awareness of “an epidemic of veteran suicide,” while also aiming to raise funds for prevention efforts thereof.
“We definitely encourage people to come out and walk with us,” Delafield said. “And we also are planning to be able to afford the opportunity to other people to experience what we’re experiencing — and not only on a one-time thing. We want to have walks going all over the country.”
They said they hope to reach Phoenix by Sept. 1.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night