PHOENIX — Two Marines have created The Wounded Walk to reach out to other veterans while trekking across the country.
The Wounded Walk is about to come through Phoenix, as Adam Shatarsky and Ross Delafield are leading a group that will be going 308 miles on foot through the Mojave Desert along Interstate 10. The two of them are calling this part of the journey “Mission Mojave,” which started last Friday.
“Ross and I, too, struggle with our demons, and we want our veterans to know that they’re not alone, and that their voice can be heard,” Shatarsky said.
Their nonprofit hopes to raise awareness of “an epidemic of veteran suicide,” while also aiming to raise funds for prevention efforts thereof.
“We definitely encourage people to come out and walk with us,” Delafield said. “And we also are planning to be able to afford the opportunity to other people to experience what we’re experiencing — and not only on a one-time thing. We want to have walks going all over the country.”
They said they hope to reach Phoenix by Sept. 1.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns