PHOENIX — Two Marines have created The Wounded Walk to reach out to other veterans while trekking across the country.
The Wounded Walk is about to come through Phoenix, as Adam Shatarsky and Ross Delafield are leading a group that will be going 308 miles on foot through the Mojave Desert along Interstate 10. The two of them are calling this part of the journey “Mission Mojave,” which started last Friday.
“Ross and I, too, struggle with our demons, and we want our veterans to know that they’re not alone, and that their voice can be heard,” Shatarsky said.
Their nonprofit hopes to raise awareness of “an epidemic of veteran suicide,” while also aiming to raise funds for prevention efforts thereof.
“We definitely encourage people to come out and walk with us,” Delafield said. “And we also are planning to be able to afford the opportunity to other people to experience what we’re experiencing — and not only on a one-time thing. We want to have walks going all over the country.”
They said they hope to reach Phoenix by Sept. 1.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development