PHOENIX — A Tempe golf course may be seeing some changes soon.
Scottsdale organic farmer Ken Singh wants to change at least part of the Rio Salado Golf Course, which is currently closed, into a farm.
“It’s going to be more of an urban farm,” Singh said. “Because of certain limitations with water rights and things, there’s only so much we can do here.”
Singh said that several gardens are big part of what he sees for the course’s future.
“We’re going to put in gardens, and we’re going to create areas for community gardens once we know what we’re going to do with the county and city,” he said.
The Tempe City Council has already approved the concept of turning the golf course into a farm. The 63-acre, 9-hole golf course is located north of the Loop 202 freeway.
Singh said that he wants it to become an oasis for the entire community. He said that he’s not opposed to keeping the golf course, as long as it fits into the plans for the farm.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.