PHOENIX — A Tempe golf course may be seeing some changes soon.
Scottsdale organic farmer Ken Singh wants to change at least part of the Rio Salado Golf Course, which is currently closed, into a farm.
“It’s going to be more of an urban farm,” Singh said. “Because of certain limitations with water rights and things, there’s only so much we can do here.”
Singh said that several gardens are big part of what he sees for the course’s future.
“We’re going to put in gardens, and we’re going to create areas for community gardens once we know what we’re going to do with the county and city,” he said.
The Tempe City Council has already approved the concept of turning the golf course into a farm. The 63-acre, 9-hole golf course is located north of the Loop 202 freeway.
Singh said that he wants it to become an oasis for the entire community. He said that he’s not opposed to keeping the golf course, as long as it fits into the plans for the farm.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development