PHOENIX — A Valley dessert chain kicked off its second annual “Gelato Wars” competition Friday at all of its locations.
The Gelato Spot pitted 10 Valley chefs against each other in the competition, all of whom each made their own unique concoctions to be featured at all three Arizona locations, as well as at the 10 participating restaurants. The competition raises money for Make-A-Wish Arizona, with a goal of reaching $5,000 for the nonprofit, according to the Phoenix Business Journal.
Gelato Spot owner Tommy Plato told the Business Journal that this year’s competition features five new chefs and five returning ones. Plato also hinted at the possibility of expanding Gelato Wars into a TV show in the future.
Customers who go into a Gelato Spot this month have the chance to sample the chefs’ new flavors before deciding which one(s) they’d like to get in a cup or a cone.
The chef who sells the most of his or her flavor at Gelato Spot eateries from Friday until Aug. 31 will win a custom-molded gelato cone trophy and $500 in cash.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments