PHOENIX — If you’re a woman looking to start a business or climb a corporate ladder, Phoenix is a solid place to be.
An analysis conducted by the American City Business Journals found that Arizona’s capital ranks 40th among the 100 largest metropolitan areas in the country for offering business opportunities to women, as reported by the Phoenix Business Journal.
The District of Columbia finished first in the study, followed by the San Francisco-Oakland area, San Jose, Baltimore and Denver.
Phoenix ranked slightly ahead of Little Rock, Arkansas; Kansas City and Milwaukee on the top 100 list.
The study used a 16-part formula within four categories: education, money, management and entrepreneurship. Each category was then graded with a five-star scale.
Phoenix earned a five-star scale in the money category, which measured a market’s female poverty rate, female share of people below the poverty line, median earnings for women and female earnings per $10,000 in male earnings.
The Business Journal says the median yearly earnings for a female in Phoenix is $27,784. For every $10,000 a man makes in Phoenix, a woman makes $7,711. Also, 53.4 percent of the people who live below the poverty line in Arizona’s capital are female, while the overall poverty rate for Phoenix women is 16.6 percent.
In the areas of management and entrepreneurship, Phoenix earned three-star ratings in the study. However, the city earned just one star in education.
What contributed to the low education score is Phoenix’s low percentage of women 25 and older with bachelor’s degrees. Only 27.4 percent of women age 25 and older in Phoenix hold bachelor’s degrees. Only 9.4 percent hold advanced degrees.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food