PHOENIX — Kaibab National Forest officials said two wildfires continued slow, but steady growth Saturday in northern Arizona.
Officials said both fires are being allowed to grow moderately to benefit forest resources and lessen the risk of future high-intensity blazes.
“Our goal is to allow the natural spread of these fires to reduce hazardous fuels, improve wildlife habitat, and meet other natural and cultural resource objectives,” said Quentin Johnson, fire management officer for the Tusayan Ranger District of the Kaibab forest.
The McRae Fire grew by 74 acres Saturday to reach a total size of 5,071 acres. It started by lightning on July 4, and officials didn’t expect it to grow much Sunday due to “a steady drizzle of rain on the fire last night.”
Officials said the Hammer Fire was slightly more active Saturday: It grew by 371 acres to reach a size of 596 acres. Fire managers also expected minor growth on this wildfire Sunday due to precipitation the night before. The Hammer Fire was first found on July 29.
Another fire in the region was dormant Sunday morning due to several days of precipitation, officials said. The Sitgreaves Complex is about 4,150 acres in size on the Williams Ranger District of the Kaibab forest. Crews are monitoring the fire and some smoke is still visible, but the wildfire is not expected to be active over the next few days. Since smoke can still been seen, fire managers believe the Sitgreaves Complex may see a resurgence once conditions in the area dry out.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths